All new accounts must be activated. PM Kathryn to request a new account activation.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Can Zac win an Oscar?
09-15-2011, 06:41 AM
RE: Can Zac win an Oscar?
nothing is impossible! zac can win an oscar anytime soon! Smile i know he can Smile

[Image: normal_013.jpg]

Come morning light, you and I'll be safe, and, sound....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2011, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2011 10:20 AM by d. b. wilyumz.)
(09-14-2011 06:09 AM)qwerty Wrote:  unfortunately, critics still think zac is a talent less disney boy -_-

I think that's still the impression among actors, but I have read about 50 reviews of Me & Orson Welles, and most of the critics were surprised/impressed by Zac's performance. So I think the critics are coming around and starting to consider him as a regular actor rather than teen idol. But critics have to see new movies, it's their job; most other people in the business didn't see M&OW when it came out, so it didn't do Zac any good with them. Now that's it's played on cable here and there, maybe it's starting to reach a wider audience.
09-16-2011, 11:01 AM
(09-16-2011 10:17 AM)d. b. wilyumz Wrote:  I think that's still the impression among actors, but I have read about 50 reviews of Me & Orson Welles, and most of the critics were surprised/impressed by Zac's performance. So I think the critics are coming around and starting to consider him as a regular actor rather than teen idol. But critics have to see new movies, it's their job; most other people in the business didn't see M&OW when it came out, so it didn't do Zac any good with them. Now that's it's played on cable here and there, maybe it's starting to reach a wider audience.

I was surprised by how Charlie St. Cloud was reviewed in that most critics panned the movie, but gave Zac pretty good reviews.

With regard to Me and Orson Welles, Christian McKay stole the critical reviews. The ones I saw that mentioned Zac said that he was rigid in his delivery, etc. The way I looked at it, McKay nailed Welles so good that it didn't matter who was in any of the other roles, he stole the show.

To the question at hand; I don't believe he has 'shown' enough to be nominated for an Oscar. If you look at the last ten years worth of best or even supporting actors, they are all men who pushed themselves beyond their range. Whether it was changing their appearance or playing against type, they had to stretch. Zac has been exceptionally safe. I view his next couple of projects (New Years Eve and The Lucky One) as being very safe for him.
09-17-2011, 02:09 AM
if ever zac won an oscar on live tv, i would literary cry lol and i would be so proud of him Smile

[Image: normal_013.jpg]

Come morning light, you and I'll be safe, and, sound....
09-17-2011, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2011 10:23 AM by d. b. wilyumz.)
(09-16-2011 11:01 AM)cblodg Wrote:  I was surprised by how Charlie St. Cloud was reviewed in that most critics panned the movie, but gave Zac pretty good reviews.

With regard to Me and Orson Welles, Christian McKay stole the critical reviews. The ones I saw that mentioned Zac said that he was rigid in his delivery, etc. The way I looked at it, McKay nailed Welles so good that it didn't matter who was in any of the other roles, he stole the show.

M&OW was similar, but most critics praised the movie and gave Zac a passing grade. There were a few who couldn't see past their teen-idol prejudice, but many were "surprised" by how well Zac performed. (Christian McKay remarked that he was irritated by reviewers who thought Zac was "surprisingly" good. "Why 'surprisingly'?" he wondered.

There's no doubt that McKay stole the show, which was intentional. And director Linklater recognized the problem when he went looking for someone to play the Richard Samuels role -- he knew he had to find someone who could "go toe to toe" with such a dominant personality. He thought Zac was the guy he needed.

(09-16-2011 11:01 AM)cblodg Wrote:  To the question at hand; I don't believe he has 'shown' enough to be nominated for an Oscar. If you look at the last ten years worth of best or even supporting actors, they are all men who pushed themselves beyond their range. Whether it was changing their appearance or playing against type, they had to stretch. Zac has been exceptionally safe. I view his next couple of projects (New Years Eve and The Lucky One) as being very safe for him.

I think you're absolutely right on this issue. This is why so many still say Miracle Run is his finest turn as an actor. He had to play someone completely different from who he was. Same point was made by John Waters, who told Zac, "If you played a junkie, you'd win an Oscar."
09-17-2011, 12:23 PM
(09-17-2011 10:11 AM)d. b. wilyumz Wrote:  
(09-16-2011 11:01 AM)cblodg Wrote:  I was surprised by how Charlie St. Cloud was reviewed in that most critics panned the movie, but gave Zac pretty good reviews.

M&OW was similar, but most critics praised the movie and gave Zac a passing grade. There were a few who couldn't see past their teen-idol prejudice, but many were "surprised" by how well Zac performed. (Christian McKay remarked that he was irritated by reviewers who thought Zac was "surprisingly" good. "Why 'surprisingly'?" he wondered.

There's no doubt that McKay stole the show, which was intentional. And director Linklater recognized the problem when he went looking for someone to play the Richard Samuels role -- he knew he had to find someone who could "go toe to toe" with such a dominant personality. He thought Zac was the guy he needed.

(09-16-2011 11:01 AM)cblodg Wrote:  To the question at hand; I don't believe he has 'shown' enough to be nominated for an Oscar. If you look at the last ten years worth of best or even supporting actors, they are all men who pushed themselves beyond their range. Whether it was changing their appearance or playing against type, they had to stretch. Zac has been exceptionally safe. I view his next couple of projects (New Years Eve and The Lucky One) as being very safe for him.

I think you're absolutely right on this issue. This is why so many still say Miracle Run is his finest turn as an actor. He had to play someone completely different from who he was. Same point was made by John Waters, who told Zac, "If you played a junkie, you'd win an Oscar."

Agree with you both, I always saw Zac being taken seriously (by critics) when he 'uglies' himself up (or changes his appearance so dramatically) that people are really shocked it's him. But I don't think he's had his big movie yet Smile It's still to come...

[Image: bbt.gif]

sig by BBT

Ang Angel
09-17-2011, 12:35 PM
I think it's good that Zac is still working towards his big Oscar movie because once one of his movies does win an Oscar, where do you go from there?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-17-2011, 12:42 PM
(09-17-2011 12:35 PM)mirandagirl Wrote:  I think it's good that Zac is still working towards his big Oscar movie because once one of his movies does win an Oscar, where do you go from there?

Exactly! He's a baby in terms of Hollywood accolades Big Grin

[Image: bbt.gif]

sig by BBT

Ang Angel
09-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Zac has a long career ahead of him. Critics usually look at the 'bigger' names in movies other than Zac, because he is transitioning from teen idol to regular actor. It's going to take awhile for everyone to recognize his talent and find material and a performance that is Oscar worthy. Someday (:
09-17-2011, 09:03 PM
(09-17-2011 03:46 PM)samfron. Wrote:  Zac has a long career ahead of him. Critics usually look at the 'bigger' names in movies other than Zac, because he is transitioning from teen idol to regular actor. It's going to take awhile for everyone to recognize his talent and find material and a performance that is Oscar worthy. Someday (:
Agreed
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user