ZAC EFRON | ZEFRON.COM - The Zac Efron Fan Forum
Zac biggest regret is ? - Printable Version

+- ZAC EFRON | ZEFRON.COM - The Zac Efron Fan Forum (http://www.zefron.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Zac Efron (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Zac biggest regret is ? (/showthread.php?tid=1059)

Zac biggest regret is ? - Zac Fan - 04-06-2012 12:47 AM

He didn't go to collage 2006. He had been eccepted to UCLA & USC . [But then High School Musical shot him to superstardom 2006] WinkRolleyesShy

RE: Zac biggest regret is ? - d. b. wilyumz - 04-06-2012 09:08 AM

(04-06-2012 07:31 AM)lashay12 Wrote:  well its never too late for him to go back if he wants to. no matter how old you become you can always get an education. =) But at the same time i hope that he doesn't stop acting if and when he decides to go back.

I think we've discussed this here before. Doing college would be a complete waste of his time and talents, when he should be taking instruction in things that he can actually use professionally (for example, he should get some serious dance and voice training; he was able to fake his way through his past musicals, but if he does another one it will be a grown-up musical with much higher expectations).

RE: Zac biggest regret is ? - mirandagirl - 04-06-2012 10:24 AM

I think Zac regrets not going to college because most of him close hometown friends went to college, so Zac may feel "left out" so to say.

RE: Zac biggest regret is ? - Londonlipton - 04-06-2012 11:54 AM

Add the fact his own brother is currently at College. You can understand why he feels the way he does.

RE: Zac biggest regret is ? - Peace - 04-06-2012 01:33 PM

I think when the time is right , if he wants he will try. If Zac regrets it, I'm sure, he will also figure it out. That's great that he wanted to do it, College degrees are a big deal and provide a foundation even though he has a career. YOu can have a career in Hollywood, but it's not the whole picture. With a Degree, he can go much farther in the job he has.

RE: Zac biggest regret is ? - d. b. wilyumz - 04-07-2012 01:08 PM

(04-06-2012 10:24 AM)mirandagirl Wrote:  I think Zac regrets not going to college because most of him close hometown friends went to college, so Zac may feel "left out" so to say.

And I'll bet all of his hometown friends were sitting in classes for four years and looking at Zac's life and wishing they were him.
(04-06-2012 01:33 PM)Peace Wrote:  ...With a Degree, he can go much farther in the job he has.

When Zac goes into a meeting with a producer or director to talk about his next potential project, no one asks him if he graduated from high school, let alone college. Zac has followed the old-fashioned means of acquiring a profession - apprenticeship. He has successfully completed his seven years and is now an accomplished craftsman. He learned a lot more as an apprentice on movie sets than he would ever have gained in a college classroom.

RE: Zac biggest regret is ? - Fruitfly - 04-07-2012 07:45 PM

(04-07-2012 01:08 PM)d. b. wilyumz Wrote:  
(04-06-2012 10:24 AM)mirandagirl Wrote:  I think Zac regrets not going to college because most of him close hometown friends went to college, so Zac may feel "left out" so to say.

And I'll bet all of his hometown friends were sitting in classes for four years and looking at Zac's life and wishing they were him.
(04-06-2012 01:33 PM)Peace Wrote:  ...With a Degree, he can go much farther in the job he has.

When Zac goes into a meeting with a producer or director to talk about his next potential project, no one asks him if he graduated from high school, let alone college. Zac has followed the old-fashioned means of acquiring a profession - apprenticeship. He has successfully completed his seven years and is now an accomplished craftsman. He learned a lot more as an apprentice on movie sets than he would ever have gained in a college classroom.

See, you guys see education as a utilitarian tool to further or advance yourself in a chosen profession. For you, education is a commodity, something you purchase and consume that improves your chances in the working world. That's a very Western Capitalist way of thinking.

For me, education is so much more than improving my chances in the world. Theology opens up the possibilities regarding the nature of God; ontology and metaphysics open up systematic explanations of origin and being; physics presents the principles, the rules and the laws upon which the space-time continuum operates; epistemology offers explanations of how we learn, how we know what we know; psychology helps explain how people become who they are and how they behave. In short, education unfolds the manifold reality around us in terms of origin and end, being and becoming, matter and form or material and spirit, the nature of humanity and the individual, etc, etc.
And literature binds this all together, because language constructs everything in books.
I think when Zac said he regretted not going to college, he was not expressing regret that he did not take advantage of the opportunity to further his trade or his career, I think he was expressing regret at the loss of knowledge itself. I get the feeling that Zac likes to learn for the sake of knowing, ie he finds value in the nugget of of "truth", whatever it may be. Just as he wants to do everything he wants to know everything as well, and I imagine when he discovers a new idea, he gets excited about it and wants to talk about it with others who can offer up their interpretations.
That's my belief anyhow.

RE: Zac biggest regret is ? - d. b. wilyumz - 04-08-2012 03:38 PM

(04-07-2012 07:45 PM)Fruitfly Wrote:  See, you guys see education as a utilitarian tool to further or advance yourself in a chosen profession. For you, education is a commodity, something you purchase and consume that improves your chances in the working world. That's a very Western Capitalist way of thinking....

Mostly because that is how university education is sold, so many credit hours per course, so many required courses, do the time and get the degree.

I wouldn't object if Zac took some single classes because he was interested in the subject - the kind of extended learning you endorse. But pursuing a formal, four-year degree would be a waste of his time and talents.

RE: Zac biggest regret is ? - Fruitfly - 04-08-2012 04:05 PM

(04-08-2012 03:38 PM)d. b. wilyumz Wrote:  Mostly because that is how university education is sold, so many credit hours per course, so many required courses, do the time and get the degree.

Exactly! The university has become a business, which is one of the issues the humanities have with out current concept of higher education. In Europe, the universites are not perceived that way and don't act that way.

But I get what you are saying with taking independent classes. I would think Zac would enjoy that - the internet offers many opportunites, and ITUNES has classes from Stanford, etc online.